Eligible Education Tax Refund Expenses
Many types of education expenses are eligible under the Education Tax Refund (ETR). And you do need to keep your receipts.
What is an eligible education expense?
An eligible education expense is:
- incurred by an eligible person
- for a child or independent student’s education
- an item specified in the legislation as an eligible education expense, and
- incurred on a day when the child or independent student satisfied the schooling requirement.
You cannot claim the ETR for an expense if:
it is an allowable tax deduction or subject to another tax offset, or
What items can I claim?
Eligible expenses include the cost of buying, establishing, repairing and maintaining any of the following items:
- home computers and laptops
- computer-related equipment such as printers, USB flash drives, and disability aids to assist in the use of computer equipment for students with special needs
- computer repairs
- home internet connections
- computer software for educational use
- school textbooks and other printed learning material, including prescribed textbooks, associated learning materials, study guides and stationery, and
- prescribed trade tools for secondary school trade courses.
What items can’t I claim?
You cannot claim:
- school uniform expenses (uniforms purchased after 1 July 2011 will be claimable in the 2011-12 financial year, subject to legislation)
- school fees
- student attendance at school-based extra curricular activities such as excursions and camps
- tutoring costs
- sporting equipment
- musical instruments
- school subject levies - for example, payment for consumables for particular subjects such as woodwork, art or
- home science
- building levies
- library book fees
- school photos
- tuck shop expenses
- waiting list fees
- membership fees, and
- computer games and consoles.
Contact A Grade Tax Penrith (02) 4731-1405 for tax advice, accounting and tax returns.
Business Tax Newsletter
Subscribe & stay informed on the latest Business Tax News!
Personal Tax Newsletter
Subscribe & stay informed on the latest Personal Tax News!